Disaffected Prep

Monday, February 7, 2011

 

I Made You a Mixtape

Hi Internet people,

It's been a long time.  I haven't written much.  Things have been crazy.

∴ (therefore) I have not felt like blogging(1) much.

To make it up to you, I made you a mixtape of some blues and soul tunes I've been bending an ear to recently.  I know you can get irreverent and sporadically updated content from just about anywhere, but you came here, and I appreciate it.

So please don't go.  



...I had to pull the shingle down from the door and close the shop for a bit from a cold, cold feeling in the winter (2).



The kind where you want to just fly away on a big bird.



As if you were a road runner...



But don't give up on me.



...Hold on, I'm coming (back)



I'll write more. I promise.

Because (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher.




(1) "Blog" is my absolute least favorite portmanteau in the English language and I worry that all the molar and canine gnashing it causes when I say it will leave me with teeth that resemble half-bitten chicklets, though we're all kinda stuck with the word since it's gained critical mass and is subject to what all those pointy-headed computer engineers call "lock-in" (a)

(2) Albert Collins' nicknames are Master of the Telecaster, the Ice Man, among others. He also walked off the stage while still playing his guitar (still plugged in), crossed over to a local pizza shop, ordered a pizza, returned to the stage (still playing) and had the pizza delivery guy come up on stage. If I achieve 9% of his coolness I will be satisfied in life.

(a) I picked up the concept of 'lock in' from Jaron Lanier's excellent book, You Are Not a Gadget. In it, he argues (among other things) that social media websites have a negative impact on our conception of ourselves as human beings and This Is Not A Good Thing.  Essentially, you lower the bar/degrade your understanding of yourself in order to "fit in" to a software program, since it is invariably simpler than reality.  This isn't a horribly -- though still unfortunate -- bad thing when it comes to the impact on our consciousness of technology and music (Lanier provides the example of MIDI, which was an imperfect software standard that became locked-in) but can be pretty disastrous when it comes to things like how we understand human connections, friendship and personhood (hello, facebook).  As Lanier says, you have to be someone before you can share yourself. 

Zadie Smith gave a nod to Lanier's book in her excellent article on Facebook/The Social Network in the New York Review of Books

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

August 2009   September 2009   October 2009   November 2009   December 2009   January 2010   February 2010   March 2010   June 2010   August 2010   November 2010   December 2010   January 2011   February 2011   March 2011   April 2011   June 2011   September 2011   December 2011   February 2012   September 2012   October 2012   December 2012   December 2014   January 2015   February 2015  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]